Here are my top 5 tips for decorating to celebrate the holidays:
1. Pick one dominant color for your decorations, and let the rest be neutral - this makes things much more cohesive; I chose red. (Or try just neutrals, this is a simple way to up the elegance of your look.)
2. Cluster collections of items in groups of three or more for a lux look, or just three if you are going for a cleaner, sparer look. Stagger the heights (taller in back) to create visual interest and draw your eye in.
3. Add some shimmery, shiny, or sparkly objects, like glass ornaments, as eye-catchers.
4. Add in some nature - go outside and take a few clippings of evergreens, or scavange for fallen pine cones to tuck into garland or make into wreaths. Nature's discards are the best, and I'd consider them a neutral in terms of color planning.
5. Add light. Whether it's with a string of white lights (classic), or a cluster of candles, or both, illuminate your evenings. I even love the electric candles, one in each window, to send a warm welcome home.
My decor is obviously celebrating Christmas, but you can adapt these ideas for whichever holiday you celebrate at this time of year.